CBSE Full Form is Central Board of Secondary Education. CBSE is one of the popular boards of education for private and public schools run under the Union of Government of India. CBSE was set up in the year 1962 and has its headquarters in New Delhi, India. Today, it has regional offices spread across the country which include Ajmer, Allahabad, Chennai, Delhi, Dehradun Guwahati, Patna, Thiruvananthapuram etc. It has gained its current status after significant developments in the past. All the private schools, Kendriya Vidyalayas, Public schools and Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas are affiliated to CBSE.
The primary objective of CBSE is to provide education for the students and support parents who work with the Central Government and undergo frequent transfers to various places. There are several private and public schools and colleges across the country. Thus, a student of CBSE board can easily get a transfer to any of the schools, based on the need, and continue his or her studies. The structure of courses offered is all-encompassing and comprehensive.
CBSE Full Form – Important Information
Central Board of Secondary Education was reconstituted in 1962. It began as U.P. Board of High School and Intermediate Education and was established in 1921. Rajputana, Gwalior, and Central India came under the board’s jurisdiction. However, the Government planned to expand it and gradually after adding other states, it is what it is today, under the purview of Central Government with its base in New Delhi.
Aim of starting Central Board of Secondary Education
This board was particularly planned for the children of parents who were working in Central Government. The education of the children suffered due to constant transfers of the parents and thus to respond to the academic needs of such students, this centralized education system was derived. Hence, admission wise these transfer students got first preference.
Now even though the regional office remains in Delhi, there are other centers opened to attend to the daily administration of the affiliated schools and their offices are currently located in these cities – Dehradun, Chennai, Tiruvanthapuram, Panchkula, Delhi, Ajmer, Allahabad, Bhubaneshwar, Patna, and Guwahati. Nevertheless, the control over schools located out of India is still under Delhi regional office.
The Board focuses on innovative learning and teaching methods that are student oriented, adds skill learning to enable job security in future. It also keeps revising and reconstructing examination and evaluation procedures. The teachers, as well as administrative staff, are subjected to service updates through various training programs, seminars, and workshops. The Central Board has around 16000 affiliated schools under various names – Kendriya Vidyalaya, Government Aided Schools, Private Schools and much more.
Vision and Objectives of the Board
Education is need of the young generation in order to be global representatives of the country in the future. The Central Board aims in imparting holistic education to the students to empower them to succeed in all spheres of life. It also holds the responsibility to develop the students in cultural, social and intellectual zones. The Board promotes comprehensive and continuous assessment of the students with a stress on all-round development. The Board strives to develop a stress-free environment for learning that will be conducive to create competent, self-assured and creative individuals, who will be the future face of the nation.
The objectives of Central Board of Education are:
- To realize the educational requirements of the children of Central Government employees and others who have regular job transfers.
- To ensure that school records the progress of the student that is teacher and student responsive.
- To undertake methods to improve the education standards with an eye on the psychological, educational and social principles.
- To improve the quality of educational activities by receiving feedback from the different administrators.
- To impart burden-free, holistic and student-centered education to all the desiring students, without a compromise on the quality.
- To guide and monitor the process of examination.
- To update the knowledge and teaching techniques of teachers through various programs.
- To formulate the examination to be conducted at the end of class 10th and 12th and to issue a passing certificate to all the successful students of the affiliated schools.
- To give consent of affiliation to schools for examination purpose and in order to elevate education standard in the country.
Functional Bodies of CBSE
For any organization to run smoothly, there are core committees that take care of various aspects. The Central Board of Secondary Education is controlled by the Secretary of School Education and Literacy, which comes under Ministry of Human Resource Development of the Indian Government.
The Committees and their functions are as stated below:
- Affiliation Committee: This is responsible for stating the mandatory qualifications for teachers, granting affiliations to various schools and amending the Affiliation bye-laws.
- Examination: This committee’s job is to appoint examination moderators and paper setters, determining the maximum and minimum marks as well as the duration of the examination. The members have the authority to grant special permissions, exemptions, etc.
- Curriculum: This committee prepares the textbooks and supplementary material essential for teaching and learning. Coordinates the recommendations of different subject teachers to revise and update the syllabus. It also devises the policies pertaining to education, innovation and training and introduces new subjects as optional.
- Finance: Payments incurred for affiliation and examination are taken care of by the finance committee. They also decide on the revision rates of the fees.
- PMT: This is responsible for any strategy decision to be executed with regards to the Pre- Medical and Pre- Dental examination.
Curriculum of CBSE
CBSE syllabus is designed to prepare students for the very early stage to achieve proficiency in languages. The core languages are English and Hindi with additional stress on the mother tongue, any other language of choice as well as a foreign language. Language proficiency is vital for effective communication in the future. Besides this, there is an emphasis on Mathematics and Science.
Environmental Education is made mandatory in schools as well as colleges to familiarize the students with the current scenario in the world related to environment and pollution, etc. Besides academic subjects, there is stress on life skills and performing arts. The students are given options like pottery, dance, music, drama, visual arts and physical education, etc.
In higher classes, especially in Senior Secondary School, there is a choice of 36 vocational subjects to choose from like Bakery & Confectionery, Horticulture, Beauty and health culture, library management, travel, and tourism, etc just to name a few. Information and communication technology is also part of the curriculum. Overall, besides academic training, the students are introduced to various other fields including sports so that in future they can have their options open for a career.
Advantages of CBSE
Education is important to all in order to progress in life. There needs to be constant up gradation and innovation of teaching techniques to keep the children interested in studies. CBSE takes care to see that the students are not stressed and the syllabus is designed to educate them in a burden-free manner.
Only imparting book-based knowledge is not sufficient to develop a person’s personality. There needs to be a holistic approach and incorporation of various activities, art forms, and sports as well as vocational field training is necessary for the all-round development of the student.
Having said all this, the main advantage of CBSE is that it gives respite to parents who have constant transferrable jobs. The Board ensures that the children of such parents do not miss out on education due to mid-term transfers and the learning process goes uninterrupted since these students are given preferential admission even in the middle of the academic session.